Jumaat, 12 November 2010

Haruki Murakami: Running



This book originally published in Japan as "Hashiru Koto Ni Tsuite Kataru Toki Ni Boku No". Then it was traslated into English by Philip Gabriel with its English title as "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running". This book gives us a peek look of this famous writer's personal life through his running activity.

Underground is his first book that I read. Since then, Murakami became my favourite author. When I saw this book with Murakami name as its author I am so exited and quickly grabbed this book. I said to myself, "Oh, Murakami was writing a book about running?". I am very curious about it.

I am a walker myself. I love walking for a long distance but I never participated in any race. Sometimes I take my own time for a walk to Taman Jaya and sometimes just around the house. Reading this book is like sharing my experience with a friend who understand me. He shared his view about life, about getting old, about change, about failing, about achieving and more.

Reading this book, revealed his true self not only as a famous writer but as a normal person. I was quite shocked that he just started writing when he was 29 years old. He was inspired while watching a baseball game. The funny thing is that when he wanted to start writing then he just realized that he do not have a pen and had to buy it from Kinokinuya. This is an inspiring start for me because Murakami life story make me realize that we can change at any time and we can achieve anything as long as our mind into it.

One of his best achievement after he started to become a full time writer is that he change his lifestyle from unhealthy into more healthy lifestyle through running. Not long after he decided to start running he also gave up smoking. He wrote " Quitting smoking was like a symbolic gesture of farewell to the life I used to lead". From here, I understand that Murakami has a strong will that is one of his important character that shape him into becoming a good writer.

He also share his feeling after he became a writer, he said

" The happiest thing about becoming a professional writer was that I could go to bed early and get up early."

His philosophy of life is simple, he just said; "lets face it". For me, he live his life by thinking positively and keep on trying and achieving. He put on target on everything his been doing like he stating the distance that he must run per day, time for writing, and more.

Overall, this book is one of his precious soul and I am looking forward for his other books. So far I only read his non-fiction book and I hope that I will read and appreciate his fiction more after this. Go Murakami!!


Haruki Murakami

About the Author:

Haruki Murakami was born in Kyoto in 1949 and now lives near Tokyo. His work has been translated into forty-two languages. He often distinguished as from other Japanese writer from his western influence. Many of his novels have themes and titles that invoke classical music such as The Bird-Catcher (a character in Mozart's opera The Magic Flute) and some from titles of songs like "Dance, Dance, Dance".

2 ulasan:

encik kerani berkata...

Saya juga peminat murakami. tetapi entah kenapa buku ini yang paling saya tak rasa nak baca. mungkin sebab saya tak suka berjoging haha.

Fariza berkata...

Hehe.. Saya suka joging dan Murakami.. Encik Kerani suka Murakami tak suka joging.. itu sahaja perbezaannya..

Catat Ulasan

Nota: Hanya ahli blog ini sahaja yang boleh mencatat ulasan.